Be it a picnic on the beach or going for a long drive in the interiors of Oman, here are some easy to make and carry picnic snacks.
• 2 cans of tuna, drained
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 4tbsp cucumber, finely chopped
• 2tbsp onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
• 1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup lettuce (torn to bite size)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Add tuna to a mixing bowl, break up lightly with a fork, then add remaining ingredients.(except salt and pepper) mix well to combine.
• Season with salt, pepper to taste.
• Serve at room temperature or cold.
AVOCADO HUMMUS SANDWICH
• 2 slices of brown bread
• 1/2 large avocado
• 1 small tomato
• 1 onion
• 1 beetroot
• Store bought hummus ( just to spread)
• Slice tomato, beetoot and onion into rounds.
• With a fork, mash avocado on one slice of bread.
• On the other slice, spread store bought hummus.
• Layer up the vegetables between the two slices of bread and secure together with toothpicks.
EASY FETA DIP
• 2-3 tbsp olive oil
• 3-4 tomatoes, chopped
• 1/4 cup spring onion greens
• 1 cup feta cheese
• 2 tsp dried herbs seasoning
• Drizzles of balsamic vinegar
• Drizzle olive oil over a plate.
• Add the tomatoes and green onions and crumble the feta cheese over the top.
• Sprinkle the seasoning and toss lightly to combine. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
• Serve the dip with nachos or chips.
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 6 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup milk
• Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F. Grease an 8 inch cake pan.
• Sift the flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
• In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together for about a minute.
• Add oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
• Mix in the flour, baking powder and milk and beat till well combined for about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Pour the batter in to the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or till toothpick comes clean.
• Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
• Serve as it is or frosted.
Oneza Tabish is a food blogger, consultant, and columnist based in Oman. She is also the owner of Oman’s popular Facebook group ‘What’s Cooking Oman.’