During this unprecedented time, it’s still important to take care of your overall wellness, and your feet are no exception. Healthy feet and ankles are crucial for balance, mobility and a healthy body.A bit of preventive care can also support healthy feet.
Here are a few tips from the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons you can follow while at home:
• Stay active. Do sit-ups, pushups, planks, squats and leg lifts or check out virtual fitness classes online. If you get outside for fresh air sometimes, practise social distancing. If you feel better staying inside, take scheduled breaks to get up and walk around your home.
• If you suffer from foot pain, such as a neuroma, avoid wearing narrow shoes and also avoid walking on hard surfaces barefoot, even in the house.
• Do eccentric strengthening exercises like calf raises on a step to prevent or treat Achilles tendinitis.
• Examine your feet regularly for bumps, lumps or other changes.
• Wear comfortable, sensible shoes, especially for exercise. Continue using padding, insoles or whatever special footwear you’ve been prescribed.
While the COVID-19 crisis is understandably top-of-mind for many right now, taking steps to protect your overall health is vital. Because so many health problems stem from the feet, paying attention to them is essential for your comfort, safety and overall wellness.- Statepoint